NEW !!!!! A photo album recently found in an Atlanta, GA antique store. Images shared by owner C. Garcia with many thanks. We are raising money to purchase this album - if you can contribute: please send check to Potsdam Public Museum , 2 Park Street, Potsdam, NY 13676 and write 'Civil War Album' in the memo. Thank you!
The museum has an extensive collection of Civil War records, books, letters, diaries and photographs. We are working to make these accessible on this website. It is not a definitive list. Call or visit the museum to view original documents and utilize our reference library. Copies of archival materials are 25 cents per page. (315) 265-6910.
List of Civil War resources at the museum:
DOCUMENTS · IMAGES · ARTIFACTS
Download the: CIVIL WAR ARCHIVES INDEX (PDF Format)
Potsdam Civil War Soldiers by J. Austin (PDF Format)
Civil War Soldier's Record - 106 Regiment NYSV (PDF Format)
Transcription of letters written by Captain Thomas Hickey 1864
Gallantry In The Field:
Cover: Captain Thomas Hickey and Officers of Company A, 164th NYV ca. 1862-64
Photograph by Matthew Brady - Potsdam Public Museum - P2929
Some excerpts herein have been taken from the museum publication "GALLANTRY IN THE FIELD Potsdam and the Civil War". The publication can be purchased from the museum for $5.00 plus sales tax.
The articles in this publication were first printed in the Potsdam Courier & Freeman between April 21 and September 14, 1961. In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Civil War. They were written by Helen (Mrs. Lloyd) Keller of the Potsdam Public Museum and Dee (Mrs. George R.) Little of the Courier & Freeman, and later of the Potsdam Public Museum.
Re-printed with the permission of the Daily Courier-Observer. March 1997.
NOTE: Recent information has been forwarded to the museum regarding an image of Major John C. Gilmore appearing on page 76 of the publication as incorrect. The image is actually that of General Quincy Adams Gilmore from Ohio.
- POTSDAM AND THE CIVIL WAR
- SIXTEENTH REGIMENT, NORTHERN NEW YORK'S PRIDE, JOINS ARMY OF THE UNION
- STRAW HAT REGIMENT LOSSES HEAVY
- COL. MARSH MORTALLY WOUNDED
- FUNERAL OF COLONEL MARSH
- OUTSTANDING OFFICERS
- STRAW HAT MEN RETURN
- REUNION OF THE 16th IN 1886
- MEMORIAL DAY ESTABLISHED BY GAR
- MARSH WOMEN'S RELIEF CORPS
- PRESIDENT LINCOLN ARRANGED WEDDING OF LOCAL RESIDENT
- THE 92nd, THE POTSDAM REGIMENT LEAVES FOR BATTLE
- REGIMENT GETS SET TO GO
- 92nd HAS PROUD RECORD
- GENERAL E.A. MERRITT BEGAN CAREER WITH 60th, 1st ST. LAWRENCE REGIMENT
- CAPT. LUTHER PRIEST RAISES LOCAL COMPANY FOR 106th REGIMENT
- THOMAS HICKEY, POTSDAM IRISH HERO, GOES TO WAR WITH 164th REGIMENT
- LOCAL MEN JOIN "SCOTT'S 900", 11th N.Y. CAVALRY
- OFFICERS OF THE 16th REGIMENT TAKE NEW COMMANDS
- WOMEN OF POTSDAM SEND SUPPLIES TO UNION CAMPS AND HOSPITALS
- POTSDAM JUBILANT OVER SURRENDER OF REBEL FORCES
- ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT LINCOLN
- POTSDAM RETURNS TO NORMAL